for the GNU & Linux and F/OSS (Free and Open Source
Founded in 1996. In Guadalajara, Jalisco México since 2005
A Name You Can Count On!
( Frequently Asked Questions )
1. What is Linux?
- Linux is the nucleas of an operating system like Windows or MacIntosh which also can support a rich graphical environment.
2. Is GNU & Linux better than Windows ?
- It depends, on a personal computer with no connection to the Internet or a computer which has no need for security, it is a matter of personal taste more than anything else. However, on a server, or on computers that participate on the Internet or other networks where the security and privacy of the data located on that computer are important, GNU & Linux is absolutely superior to Windows in providing the needed security. It is also more stable for servers and relieves the need to reboot regularly.
3. What advantages does GNU & Linux offer ?
- Stability, Security, Data Integrity, Cost ...
4. What are the differences between GNU & Linux and Windows?
There are more similarities between them than
differences. Those differences are:
- 1. License (FREE); There is no cost.
- 2. License (FREE), You can copy and distribute copies of GNU & Linux freely and Legally. There is no legal way to do so with Windows.
- 3. License (FREE), You can actually change the manner in which GNU & Linux functons by modifying the source code which is definately NOT an option with Windows.
- 4. Security, you can control and fine tune the nature of your connections and access to your valuable data in manners which do not exist with Windows.
- 5. Stability, It is NOT necessary to reboot your GNU & Linux system constantly.
5. Where can I obtain GNU & Linux?
- You can download, free of charge, distributions of linux from the Internet at RedHat.com, Mageia.org, Suse.com, etc... or you can purchase your favorite distribution from a reputable software vendor, which usually includes manuals and some tech support.
6. Where do I learn how to use GNU & Linux ?
- There are schools and colleges which teach classes in GNU & Linux as a part of their regular curiculum. There are also GNU & Linux User Groups of all types in or near major cities world wide such as the the LinuxCabal, the Grupo Linux Occidente (GLO) in Guadalajara, Grupo Linux de Colima, where you can meet people interested in helping you to learn at your own pace. There are also, on the Internet, inumerable resources such as mailing lists for all major programs, HOWTOs for most applications and situations and at the LDP (Linux Documentation Project), you will find a wealth of information on most GNU & Linux oriented topics.
7. Do you hold classes where people can learn to use GNU & Linux?
- Not in any formal manner, but we can help you solve specific problems or questions at the Install Fests at other group meetings at our facility. We offer consulting services for businesses who want help or training on GNU & Linux.
8. If GNU & Linux is very similar to Windows or MacOS why should I change?
- It all depends on how you plan to use your computer(s), but greater stability, better security and lower costs are are the main reasons.
9. How secure is GNU & Linux?
- There are many sucirity levels and options available with your linux installation and it is better to decide what level of security that you need, and implement it.
10. What is a GNU & Linux distribution?
- Linux technically is an interpreter between you and your hardware which is called a kernel. GNU and Open Source Software provides a vast collection of programs, tools, applications, and utilities such as LibreOffice, GIMP, Mozilla, etc... A collection of such tools and the Linux kernel is called a GNU & Linux distribution.
11. Which is the best distribution?
- It depends on your hardware and on your use. There are distributions oriented primarily for use on servers where others are aimed towards the more general use of computers and still others which can be intalled on your PDA. More often than not it is a matter of taste.
12. What is the LinuxCabal?
- The LinuxCabal is a non-profit organization providing a physical space for the Linux and Open Source community to use for meetings, events, projects and celebbrations.
13. How much does it cost to participate in the LinuxCabal events?
- Nothing is free in this world, but we do NOT want your money. The legal tender of the LinuxCabal is your enthusiastic participation...
14. Will my favorite programs function under GNU & Linux?
- You will discover that many of your programs actually have a version for GNU & Linux and that there are many alternatives with GNU & Linux that can provide you with the look and feel that you are accustomed to and in many cases with greater facility. For example; there is no version of Microsoft Word, Excel or Power Point for GNU & Linux however, there is LibreOffice which can read and write MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power Point docs with great facility.
Come to "LEARN", "TEACH" and "SOCIALIZE"